Don’t be fooled by the playful name, this is one serious cocktail. A Caribbean classic that’s meant to cool you down, even on the hottest day. Traditionally with rum, fresh lime juice, superfine sugar, soda and bitters this cocktail is aromatic, dry and refreshing. Our variation, with scotch and a pineapple syrup is a recipe you’ll want to create many times over.
- 2 oz blended scotch
- 2 oz club soda
- 3/4 oz pineapple syrup*
- 3/4 oz fresh lime juice
- 3 Sprays (or a dash) of pineapple infused Drambuie**
- Hella Bitters Aromatic or Smoked Chili
- pineapple leaf for garnish
- In a highball glass add pineapple syrup and lime juice.
- Add crushed ice 3/4 up glass.
- Add scotch, Drambuie, club soda and 3 or 4 dashes Hella Bitters.
- Stir the cocktail well, preferably with a swizzle stick.
- Garnish with a long pineapple leaf, pointy side up.
*Making this syrup is easy but it takes a couple hours. Get pure juice and nothing from concentrate. Measure out a quantity of sugar equal to half the pineapple juice you're going to use and reserve. In a heavy bottomed sauce pan bring pineapple juice to a simmer, using a wooden spoon, skimming the surface of the foam that rises. When reduced by half, stir in sugar until dissolved and turn off heat.
** In a glass jar combine slices of ripe pineapple with apprx 10 oz of Drambuie. Cover and let sit for several hours or overnight. Strain liquid through a fine mesh. You can add by the dash or get fancy and use an atomizer to spritz the inside of the glass.