Bitter Candied Bacon
Prep time: About 30 minutes
Preheat oven to 350
- 1 pack or 8 strips thick cut bacon - we love applewood smoked
- 1 cup light brown sugar, soft packed
- 1 Tbl Hella Bitter Aromatic
- Sea Salt
- In a mixing bowl combine sugar and bitters and pinch of sea salt.
- Mix with your fingers until the sugar is moist. To prepare the bacon you can use whole strips or cut and shape into smaller pieces. Either way, add the bacon to the sugar mixture making sure the pieces are not stuck together.
- Rub the sugar into each side of each piece until fully absorbed.
- Lay pieces of bacon across a baking sheet - if you can, use a grated rack in the baking sheet to raise bacon and allow for fat to drip off.
- Put in oven and bake for about 15 minutes until caramel brown.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle a little sea salt over all the pieces and then remove with tongs on cool dry surface. A Silpat works great if you have one. As it cools it will harden. If strips are whole after they’ve cooled cut into bite size pieces.