As we all know by now, Cocktail bitters are generally enjoyed in delicious cocktails, but bitters, which are really just robust flavor extracts, also add layers of flavor when used in cooking. When baking we regularly swap out vanilla extract for one of our bitters flavors. The orange Hella Bitters in particular pair perfectly with dark chocolate chunks in cookies.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Source: adapted from All Recipe’s Best Chocolate Cookie recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Hella Bitters Orange
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Large flake Maldon sea salt (sprinkled on warm cookies out of the oven)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the butter, white and brown sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the Orange Hella Bitters.
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt.
- Sift in flour and add chocolate chips.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto a greased pan.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.
- Place cookies on cooling rack and sprinkle with sea salt. Eat immediately with ice cold milk.