We’re about to embark on a journey you’ve probably never thought of before. I’m sure you’re familiar with the biscuit. Buttery, flaky and sometimes served with bacon, eggs and cheese. BUT! Have you ever thought about adding bitters to your biscuits? No. You haven’t. In this recipe, Hella Bitters Orange Bitters adds a subtle essence of orange. It gives a nice floral note to the breakfast classic.
Buttermilk Biscuits with Orange Bitters:
- 1 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Cup Cake Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 Teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter (1 Stick)
- 1/4 Shortening (Vegatable used here)
- 1 1/4 Cup Buttermilk
4 Teaspoons Hella Bitters Orange Bitters
- Preheat oven to 450. In a large bowl stir together flours, baking powder, sugar, salt, cream of tartar and orange zest.
Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (use your hands here). Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in buttermilk and Bitters.
- Using a fork stir together until moistened.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough by folding and pressing until the dough holds together. Pat or lightly roll the dough out to about 1 1/4 inches.
- Cut dough into rounds using a biscuit cutter.
- Place rounds onto an un-greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.